Friday, May 2, 2014

Sometimes the Best Has Already Come

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, written by Jonathan Safran Foer, is by far my favorite thing we have read this semester. This novel follows the journey that Oskar Schell takes a little over a year after the tragic death of his father in 9/11. Prior to starting his quest, Oskar finds a key amongst some of his fathers possessions. 

The key, contained within an envelope with the word "Black" written on the front, fills Oskar with a deep urge to find the lock that it opens. This urge consumes Oskar for eight whole months, as he visits multiple people with the last name of Black, because that is the only clue he has as to where he might find the lock. Eventually, he does find the lock, but it doesn't lead him to what he was looking for. In the end, he realizes that, regardless of the end result, the key was still something that brought him closer to his father for a time. Additionally, this story also shows how PTSD can effect people differently, by telling the story of Oskar's grandmother and grandfather.

As I was reading this novel, I was actually really looking forward to watching the film adaptation of the novel. Moreover, I was even contemplating downloading it, and watching it on my own as soon as I finished the novel. However, I found that once I started working on my final project, I realized that I actually didn't want to watch the film adaptation.



 One of the things that I have learned this semester, is that often times, adaptations can change opinions of original works, and that sometimes they can even provoke conflicting opinions. One of the great things about this novel, on it's own, is that it's full of different things that are not traditionally a part of novels. Therefore, I have decided that those elements are enough for me. As of right now, in addition to the sad feelings this novel provoked, it also made me fall in love with just about all of the characters, therefore, I have decided that I will do my own adaptation and for right now, I will pass on watching the film.

The film may be good, or it may be bad, or it may even change a person's initial opinions of the book, but for me, the book was enough, and I honestly think, that not all things were meant to be adapted. Some things are just better left untouched. 

No comments:

Post a Comment