Thursday, May 1, 2014

Moviegoers

After reading Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, by Jonathan Safran Foer, I found the book to be challenging and confusing as it would go all over the place..  It was hard to follow the characters and wether it was past or present taking place. The character of Oskar seemed like a good character, but the things he did are a little bizarre. After watching part of the movie version with Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock, the story line made a little more sense in which you could put faces to the characters and see all of the confussion the written story has.
In Breakfast at Tiffannys, by Truman Capote, that was also made into a movie version it went along with the original story line and was easier to follow.  I sometimes wonder if it would be better to read the book and then watch the movie, or watch the movie and then read the book. I have done both of these and I would say it could go either way.  In one way, as in Foers book, it made more sense to picture the characters and scenery first and then read the book.  In the book by Capote  it was better to read the book and then watch the movie.  I have seen a lot of books adapted for the big screen or television.  Some scenes are different but it is a good way for a story to be in a different media.
Truman Capotes   Summer Crossing , another book we read this  semester, is being produced in movie form and should be interesting to watch and to see who is chosen to play all the parts.  All in all, some books make great movies and some, like  Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close in my opinion is not one of those.  I did not care for the book and the movie is not making much difference.

1 comment:

  1. I often times wonder if it is better to read a book first than watch the movie or vice verse also. However, I find that on the rare occasions when I watch a movie than try to read the book I just have a hard time getting into the book. I think, for me, this is because even though I know that movies often don't follow books to the letter, the still have the general same ending. I think this is why I have such a hard time getting into a book after I've already seen the movie, because I already know what is going to happen. On the flip side, I find that because movies rarely live up to the same standards of the books they are based off, I often just don't care much for the movies. Ultimately, because movies and books are so different from each other in many way's it's honestly not always fair to compare one to the other even if one is based off of the other. Regardless, I have gotten to the point where I refuse to watch a movie until I read the book first. That is just my own personal solution to this difficult question. =)

    ReplyDelete