Monday, April 21, 2014

Visual Adaptations

As I responded to your ToonDoo projects and your in-class adaptations of Billy Collins' poems "Another Reason I don't Keep a Gun in the House" and "Directions," I was continually impressed by your creativity. I wanted to be sure you had the opportunity to respond to your classmates' adaptations, so I'll be sharing those here.

Several of you chose to adapt scenes from Of Mice and Men for your ToonDoo projects, and many of those adaptations dealt with the final scene in the novella. I think these adaptations are wonderful examples of how the person adapting a text puts his/her own spin on the original.
Tj's adaptation

Drew's adaptation
Maggie's adaptation
Donna's adaptation
Gabby chose the challenge text of Ceremony and adapted a portion of one of the poems found near the end of the book.
Gabby's adaptation
Melissa chose the opening scene of Home when Frank Money escapes the mental hospital.

Still, others of you were inspired by the poetry we have looked at this semester.
Kim's adaptation
Alaina's adaptation
In addition to your ToonDoo works, I loved the adaptations you made of the Collins poems. I thought it was interesting that Virginia was the only one to include actual lines of the poems, but you were still able to capture many of the emotions and ideas in the poems with the images you chose. Great job illustrating how much weight images can carry in visual adaptations of literary works! Unfortunately, the color scanner didn't do a great job picking up some of the crayon colors and cut off things that were close to the edge of the page, but I assure you they all look awesome in color!

Most of you chose to adapt "Another Reason I don't Keep a Gun in the House."


Tj's adaptation (nice use of the all blue pack of crayons, Tj!)

Maggie's adaptation 

Gabby's adaptation

Kim's adaptation
Melissa's adaptation
Virginia's adaptation 
Alaina and Donna were brave enough to tackle "Directions," which is full of visual images.
Alaina's adaptation
Donna's adaptation

I'm so proud of the work you've been doing this semester and can't wait to see what you come up with for your final projects.

2 comments:

  1. These are awesome! What a great class :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are great! I wish I could be like Mr. Feeney in Boy Meets World and keep them forever. I was impressed by the drawings your class posted on their blog not long ago, too!

      Delete