Wednesday, April 9, 2014



                                     Time For Grandfather


As we are now studying some poetry, I thought it would be interesting to do a little history.
The emergence of the English language poetry in the States began with the writings of
Walt Whitman ( 1819 - 1892 ) and Emily Dickenson ( 1830 - 1886 ).  With efforts to add
their voices to the English poetry, 17th century  colonists began writing about their travels to The New World with descriptions of what they found upon their arrival.
According to Poetry.org., the five most popular poems today are:
Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night by Dylan Thomas
Shall I compare Thee to a Summers Day? by William Shakespeare
Nothing Gold Can Stay by Robert Frost
Lady Lazarus by Sylvia Plath
and How Do I love Thee? by Elizabeth Barrett Browning.
Although poetry has not been one of my addictions like the novels, I, as a child would
love to hear my Grandfather  recite the poems he had written for various people and
occasions.  He was very witty and humorous and everything rhymed.  The best part
of our family Sunday dinners was when he would give us a whirl at his new endeavor.
I especially loved to hear him recite the poems he wrote while serving in The United
States Army in World War 1 France.  His descriptions would put you right there with
him.   I have a collections of some of his work that I read on occasion and it always
lifts me up.
I have written some of my own over the years, but it does not compare to his. I write
in a similar style however but it is mostly stories being told.  I wish he was still here today
so I could ask him for his advice on some of my work. Thanks Grampa...miss you.
World and descriptions of they found upon arrival .

No comments:

Post a Comment