Tuesday, April 22, 2014

my dog too

Another Reason Why I Don't Keep A Gun In The House is a fantastic poem.  It made me remember the days when I had a dog.  My dog would bark at everything and sometimes at nothing at all.  My neighbors would probably be feeling the same way about my dog.  It never occurred to me how annoying the barking would be to other people.  Even the police would come to our house to say that our dog needed to be inside because the kids would be scared to come out and play.  So, sometimes I could not leave my dog outside.  The dog got out of the fence one day and terrorized the whole street.  The police came to our house again.  They said if our dog got out and bit someone that they would call the dog catcher and take the dog away.  Our dog would be quarantined, we would get a ticket and we would be sued for the anguish of the bite by the victim.  I was only a kid but it made my mom really mad.  I did not think that my dog was going to hurt anyone, she was after all just my dog.  But I kept her inside any way. The only time I let her out was to let her do her business in the yard.  She would run laps around the yard to stretch her legs.  Plus I only did that early in the morning when no one was out and late at night after everyone had gone in for the night.  I guess that after all that I had to go through having a dog as a child I never want to do that to my children when they were little.  I have not had a dog in 25 years because I do not want that type of responsibility on my hands as an adult, especially now that people sue over everything.  I do miss the companionship of a dog.  But I also like having the release of time.  I do not have to come home and clean up the poop and paper.  I do not have to spend so much money on food, license and shots for it.  Now I can complain to my mom's neighbors about their dog.  My mom's dog does not bark unless he has to go outside to do his business or someone comes to the door of the house.  I tell that she needs to vacuum the house more because I have allergies to the dog she has now.  I sneeze constantly when I go home to her house.  I was just there and my asthma went crazy being in her house.  The bad part is that she will not do it, I have to.  But her neighbor's dog reminds me of this poem.  He barks all the time he is out.  The neighbor throws his poop in their garden.  So, I will never eat tomatoes from their garden ever, ever. 

4 comments:

  1. I liked the poem too! I love having dogs, but you're right. They are a huge responsibility. The poem reminded me of one of my cousins (whom I have no respect for) who once tried to poison his neighbor's god because it barked all the time. I have to say, better to write a poem about a yapper than behave like a sociopath!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I will ever eat tomatoes again either :) I loved having pets also, at the same time I am glad I don't have them. There are many things I couldn't have and do before because of having cats, like playing board games with friends and having models and Lego sets. While I too miss the companionship of my cats all the time, I try to focus on what I have now and knowing that working full time and going to school would not allow me to give them the attention that they need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I know why I have a strong disliking for tomatoes lol. Agree with the post above, I adore my dogs but also wish I could have more time for other endeavors. In the future I don't plan on having any pets until I've settled down, I feel the freedom of responsibility would be great and allow for me to pursue more adventurous things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had a dog :( It's something I've always thought i was missing out on in life. I always think that I want one, but then i remember how stressful it can be having the pet bunny that i have. Don't get me wrong, bunnies can be a lot of work, but a dog is definitely more labor intensive to have. Perhaps when i'm done growing up i'll finally be able to get down on the idea of adopting a pup. Until then. my bunny will have to do and i'll have to just keep on dreaming.

    ReplyDelete