Thursday, April 3, 2014

Memories.

Source
Memories are created each an everyday, from the minuscule to the grand. Whether it be a certain smell, sound, or something visual. Memories are all around us, they linger with us through life, waiting for that one instance, that one time, when everything lines up right for them to trigger the response they've been waiting for. Reading Giant Slide triggered a response from me personally, it brought me back to my youth, all the summer's spent at Geauga Lake. Although in bleak Ohio, it reminded me of the fun summers me and my family used to have there, riding the rides, playing the games, and eating all that terrible food. It was something I would look forward to every summer, my reward for surviving another school term. Its been multiple years since the park closed for good, all the rides sit in ruin and every once and awhile I drive out that way and see the tall starting hills of some of the coasters standing there all alone, reaching skyward for something, someone to help them restore their lost life. I remember anxiously climbing those hills, waiting for my stomach to drop over the edge with the rest of me. Those were some of the best summers of my life, now seeing the place that brought me so much joy in such a state is very emotional. I feel bad for those coasters that brought such joy not to just me, but many people, to be abandoned and cast away, only existing in memories. That is their home now, no longer are the functioning, no longer are they causing screams of excitement, no, they now only sit and hope that somewhere someone is remembering them as they once were.
Source

Giant Slide to me is a great example of how the world around us is ever changing, and unless we cling to the memories of years past and cherish them, they will sit and rot like the coasters of Geauga Lake. Memories offer each individual a home, a home that will always be the same no matter what is going on around them, and that is why I feel memories are one of the most important aspects in shaping an individuals idea of what home truly is.

4 comments:

  1. I love this. Memories are home. To me, home is supposed to be a place to find safety and comfort. And often times, a house doesn't fit that criteria. But my memories always do. I am not sure if it is considered a 'good thing' to live in the memories of the past. I only know that in these memories I feel safe. And I think that is all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Memories is a good depiction. I have just gone to a funeral and I myself have been in the zone with memories of the person we lost. It is so strange that you have published this. The memories of a giant slide are what makes a slide a place to remember Your pictures are so tranquil and rustic. When I think of Geauga lake I think of a place like this also. It was the place to be in the 70's but it is all gone now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a place that my childhood comprised of, much like the slide for the man in the poem. I've snuck in a few times over the years, and it walked around to try and remember what it was like when it was open, it just isn't the same. Its a life lesson in and of itself, things change, people leave, places close, and all we are left with are the memories we cherish.

    ReplyDelete