Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Untitled.

Home is where the heart is...

This line has been said over and over again, yet to me seems somewhat moronic. In essence it simply means home is wherever you feel loved, comfortable, surrounded by friends and family. It's easy to see how this line gets passed around and recycled over the years, its generic and fits the mold as to define home quite easily. Yet, at
least for me it brings about a sense of anger, a sense of frustration with its simplicity. Home for me wasn't where my heart was, home for me was a roof over my head that kept the shitty Ohio weather out. Much like Lennie and George I often dreamed of having such a home where I could do whatever I wanted, and not attest to anyone or anything. A place where I could be happy in doing nothing. Now, will I ever find that place? Possibly. Is it silly to dream of such a thing? Probably. But isn't it better to dream of a better home, than to accept a insufficient, unfamiliar one? 

This is the case with George and Lennie, rather that accept their lives the way they are, hard and laborious passing from one ranch to the other, they share a dream of an ideal home where both their wants and needs are fulfilled completely. Lennie has his rabbits, George is finally his own man making decisions for himself, and even Candy joins in along the way with his dreaming of finally living without worry of being replaced. This idea, this home, although not a physical being serves as a vessel for George, Lennie, and Candy. It offers them hope, offers them a glimpse of the happiness that they have been working their lives away to obtain. The idea of home in the novel Of Mice and Men is not on a physical plane, but invokes an emotional resonation within the characters to do whatever it takes to finally make it home.

2 comments:

  1. The idea of physical shelter as home vs. the emotional attachment to home is one that will come up in many of our readings, especially Of Mice and Men and the Capote readings. Do you think a physical shelter even qualifies as a home if it doesn't also have that emotional attachment for the people who dwell in it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea I have of home is that it is a place where you feel safe, loved, welcomed, and overall happy that you are there. I have friends whom have a home yet don't feel like they belong to it, so yes, I think the emotion aspect the a home has on a person is very important to defining a dwelling as a home.

    ReplyDelete