Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Home Is What You Make It

The James R. Barker, my home for 3 years
I really enjoyed the poem "The Filling Station" by Elizabeth Bishop, for it's non traditional view of what home is considered and because it reminded me of a former job I had and one that my brother is still currently doing. I worked for Interlake Steamship on and off again for a few years and on average, most of my time was spent on the boat rather then at home. The same applies to my brother, who on average is home for maybe three months out of the year. So for us, our home wasn't a house, it was a small 10 x 10 room with a bathroom, which actually, I got used to pretty quick, and being with my brother one of the seasons probably helped also.
The poem also reminded me of many of the stories I have encountered while reading military history. Most stories I have encountered have described how soldiers deployed try to make stuff as close to home as possible. Many times, their "home" is literally what they are carrying on them in their packs. I had a friend who served in Desert Storm, and he explained that his entire dining and living room sets made out of cardboard because "one, we were bored, and two, it made it seem more like home."
In both cases, home is ultimately what you make of it, whether its a filling station, a boat, or a trench somewhere in the desert.
Marines on Guadalcanal Ralph Morse—Time & Life Pictures/Getty Images  

1 comment:

  1. You make do with what you have, that what comes to my mind. What one surrounds themselves with, no matter the material, as long as the emotional need is fulfilled then thats all that matters. Home is nothing without that emotional attachment, just walls and a roof.

    ReplyDelete