Sunday, January 19, 2014

Defining Home

What makes a place home? 
Photo Credit
According to Dictionary.com, home is "house, apartment, or other shelter that is the usual residence of a person, family, or household."

According to my mom, home is where my family is--a sentiment my best friend echoed when he sent me a necklace with a tiny charm of my parents' new state for Christmas.

The picture on my living room wall argues, "Home is where the cat is."


What I like the most about the poems we've started with is the way they each expand the definition of home.  Cold and lonely or dirty but cozy? A place affected by the people who live there or a place that affects the people who live there? 

If you're struggling to come up with ideas for your first blog, you might want to think about the ways our first readings relate to your personal definitions of home. Do they contradict your idea of what makes a place home? Do they expand ideas you previously had? 

No comments:

Post a Comment